OCD : Obsessive-compulsive disorder

on Saturday, July 23, 2011

Few years back when I was in college I thought I'm totally normal until my friends told me I'm OCD . I was totally clueless of OCD until they made me realize that what I'm doing is not normal. I don't join in the tagayan system of my friends; tagayan system : only one glass will be used so that it will be all fair and you can't cheat your turn or the amount of the beer you drink; I get my own glass and before I used it, I will check the glass if there's smudges, finger prints and use a  tissue with alcohol to clean the tip of the glass and even check every detail of the glass to make sure it's clean. My friend told me that I'm insulting them because they are not sick and the glass is clean, they get annoyed of my 30 minutes of ritual just cleaning the glass. I got mad when they told me I'm sick, I replied to them that I'm not my health is in good condition. They said I have symptoms of OCD and Benson (which is my roommate) told them its not a symptoms, he got it.. He is OCD.. Ben told to my friend that the way I wash my hand, I will wash it continuously and he said I will only stop when my hand get wrinkled and I will used my elbow to closed the faucet and rub some alcohol after that... and 

Their observation what is not normal to me and they find it funny.

1. Whenever I wash my hand for 15 minutes with anti-bacterial soap, I'm using my elbow to close the faucet.
2. Constantly sweeping, even if they look clean to them.
 3. Arranging stuff in order from sizes,  to color, to alphabetically.
4. Continuously  arranging stacks of paper until its straight enough.
4. Always using alcohol.
5. Not going to eat not unless I'm the one who cooked
6. Using alcohol to make sure the kitchen utensil is bacteria free before I used it...
7. Can observe every little detail from stuff... like the stitches of dress, pants, the placement of buttons... etc...

     The way they said to me that I'm sick.. I argue with them that I'm completely healthy and they will point my head ... 
      It started when I was in high school and active member of Red Cross youth and saw millions of bacteria under microscope and as I grew up I've been fascinated on bacteria and virus. When I became a Red Cross volunteer my curiosity always bring me to laboratory and I get used to rub some alcohol and be cleaned always. Can you blame me if you seen a millions of bacteria that looks like maggot that moves fast and even so the virus of HIV/AIDS, I guess that its my way of prevention, which is dumb because I have this thought that I will get aids or sick. Well because of my so-called prevention I haven't been confined to any hospital until now.. 
     Acceptance is the first key to overcome the OCD.. which is not easy to conquer. The habit I've been used to do and when I'm avoiding it, my body and my hand shakes or my heart beats faster because I must obey that urge and the longer I try to ignore and resist  it, the more sweat I will have. Sometimes I just notice myself fixing or arranging stuff.
    With the helps of my friends and my relative I accept to myself that I have that OCD and I believed I overcome it. but still I have some habit of arranging stuff from sizes to colors and I have this bad habit of getting a pinch of rice   and rolling it on my finger not until the rice shapes like ball and when it became hard I just stick it on the wall, which is weird. That's my habit that I'm really trying to avoid.

To know more about OCD click here

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...